How to Make Healthy Cakes for Dogs - A Delicious Recipe
When my family first got a dog, I was hesitant, but now Ginger has become part of the family. I love spoiling him and all his furry friends with delicious treats. After whipping up some homemade dog cakes at his first birthday celebration, I received numerous requests for the recipe. Below, please find a precise recipe (I try) for my healthy dog cakes that is perfect for any pup's birthday or special occasion.
170g whole wheat flour
200g unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin puree
135g homemade peanut butter (or commercial peanut butter without any sugar or xylitol)
2 large eggs (100g)
10g baking powder
50g coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 175C. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce or pumpkin puree, peanut butter, eggs, and coconut oil until smooth. If using homemade peanut butter, the texture may be different from commercial peanut butter. If the final texture is too tacky, add another 10-20g of water.
- Add the water and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the whole wheat flour and baking powder together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to spoon the batter into the cupcake tin and bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
227g cream cheese
125g homemade peanut butter
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. Add the cream cheese and peanut butter to a bowl. Use an electric hand mixer to beat until smooth.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and add a finishing touch of a doggy biscuit.
This recipe can also be used to make a bone-shaped cake. Baking time may need to be extended for another 2-5 minutes. Please use the toothpick test to ensure that the cake is fully baked.
Making healthy dog cakes for your furry friend is easy and fun. This recipe can also be adapted to suit your dog's tastes and preferences. So, try this recipe out and let us know how your pup enjoys it!